Tara Whittaker of Tara Whittaker Photography is a talented, well respected photographer in the wedding industry, and we were thrilled when she shared a few tips with us on how to get the perfect photographs on your special day!
1. Once you’ve found your dream gown, be sure to get it custom-tailored for
you. You don’t want to be tugging and pulling at your dress on your wedding
day. A gown that fits your perfectly will make for more flattering wedding
2. As a photographer, I would recommend having your dress and veil steamed
prior to the wedding. This will ensure there’s no wrinkles or creases in your
3. If you want lovely photos of your wedding gown hanging before you get
dressed on your wedding day, invest in a pretty hanger. It’s difficult to make
wire or plastic hangers look beautiful in a photo.
4. When you see breathtaking images of dresses hanging and brides getting
ready on the morning of their wedding, they typically involve a clean room
with soft, natural light. Set aside a spot for this that’s separate from all of the
hustle and bustle of getting ready. You want to avoid clutter like unmade
beds, lunch trays and hairspray bottles.
5. Find a gown that’s comfortable to wear and that you feel beautiful in. If you
will need to sit during Mass at your ceremony, be sure that you’re able to do
so easily in your dress. If you’re hoping for wedding photographs that will
require a little “off-roading” (for example on a remote mountain pathway or
in the middle of a field of wildflowers), be sure that you’ll be able to walk
with ease in the dress you choose.